Reach thousands of anglers
http://www.outdoorpages.co.za
CarpSeeker Adventures
Fishing Tours
Lets Go Fishing
http://www.carpseeker.co.za
 Ads by OutdoorPAGES 
FISHING >> SPECIMEN CARP
Go BackGo Forum HomeRefresh this pageFrequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

THREAD DETAILS

Post New Reply      THREAD DETAILS VIEWS = 941
 Different baits that can be used on a hair...
Black Tiger
22-Aug-2011 15:54

Tiger nuts, kaboem mielies and boilies we all know about. What other baits (even from particles) have you guys used with success before on a hair?

I know of someone that use on occassion peeled potato (nicely round cut piece of "potato" boilie" lol!) and have success....

[ VIEW LAST POST ]

REPLY #1

RE: Different baits that can be used on a hair...
Carp Addict
22-Aug-2011 16:47

The list must be endless, lol! Maples, lupins, chic-peas, brazil nuts, hazel nuts, macadamia nuts, certain floaties(lol), halibut pellet (mounted using bait floss), and offcourse plastic baits.

REPLY #2

Black Tiger
22-Aug-2011 17:10

Any special preparation to these various nuts Johann? What about Tiger Berries?

REPLY #3

Exiled4Life
22-Aug-2011 19:01

Ek het 'n wenner hier so paar jaar terug speel ek op you tube en sien 'n UK hengelaar MATT Hayes wat 'n forere roche chocolate op haar gebruik het en 'n vettie gevang het toe om die cherry op die koek te sit vat hy 'n strawberry en vang ook 'n vettie ! Believe it cause its true!

REPLY #4

Mombakkies
23-Aug-2011 09:03

howdi
Ek het al op 'n knoffel huisie gevang , en by koster dam , is die beste aas rooi glazed cherries , (die wat hul op die verjaarsdae koeke sit) , potent daar.

REPLY #5

Black Tiger
23-Aug-2011 12:32

Mombakkies that one i did not know. LOL! hope u dont get daibetic fish!

Now where are the other experienced specimen anglers???

Come on boys!?

REPLY #6

Black Tiger
23-Aug-2011 17:06

As input from the other experienced specimen anglers frequenting this forum lacks, I invite all newbies and other anglers to participate in this thread so that we can make it one others can learn from.

REPLY #7

Kaboem
23-Aug-2011 17:37

Hallo Manne

Ek het all manne gekry wat hengel met gekookde kwartel eiers en sukses daarmee gehad... Moet se ek het ook al gelees oor n seker UK Hengelaar wat ook met gekookde eiers hengel.

Die artappel het ek al hoor van die manne kook dit in n garlic botter en kry vis op die hair. Die cherrys het ek ook al van gehoor.

Dink die mees einaardigste hookbait wat ek al gesien het was Jelly Tots op die hair...lol het nie lank gebly om te sien of hulle vis gekry het nie maar sou graag wou weet.

REPLY #8

Snytjie
23-Aug-2011 17:51

"Carp are basically greedy pigs that will eat anything that is thrown to them".

Die kwotasie kom van 'n old school' hengelaar wat blykbaar al vir dekades een van die meer suksesvol ouens in die UK is (per Ken Townly). Die klem is natuurlik op die "thrown TO them" en nie net "trown into the water" nie...

Aartappels was boilies se voorgangers en is wyd gebruik. Andre Dicks het 'n 30lb karp gevang met 'n aartappel op die GFG dvd's. Kaas, ham, hondebeskuitjies en gedroogte vrugte is algemene hoekase in die UK... ek self gebruik 'tradisionele' partikels en boilies op die hoek omdat ek voer met dit en in waters hengel wat nie baie druk het nie.

REPLY #9

Black Tiger
24-Aug-2011 07:43

So.... if one arrives at water under pressure and you haul out these "strange" hook baits you might just be "in the pound seats!"?

REPLY #10

Carp Addict
24-Aug-2011 09:08

Sorry for the late reply, been swamped with work.

BT, the nuts are prepared as usual, soaking and then boiling... but some of those nuts have an airbubble inside, so they are actually critically balanced hookbaits...

Interestingly I was watching a program last night where 2 guys had a 2 night "weird baits" competition between them...the rule was they were only allowed to fish with whatever they could buy from the local supermarket, no boilies and usual carp baits allowed. The result, 1 Carp on a piece of pepperami, 2 Carp on roasted peanuts! One guy fed with barley soaked in dessicated coconut, mixed with some peanuts and dog pellets...the other guy fish small pva bags with mushed pepperami mixed with catfood and dog pellets.... I found it really interesting!

REPLY #11

Black Tiger
24-Aug-2011 10:25

lol JF! Most interesting. Reckon I can feed one of my samies as well and be in for a good catch! hahahaha!

Very interresting indeed and food for thought. As I said earlier, the fish are used to the same old, same old. So if one should try one of these "weird" hook baits it might just give you the edge!

Admittedly I have always stuck to the regular hook baits, but will surely try out a different one with my next session. Just for the fun off it and just maybe I am in for a helluva surprise...

REPLY #12

Black Tiger
24-Aug-2011 10:27

I wonder if cashew nuts will work? Naw, no way I am sharing that!

REPLY #13

Coyote
24-Aug-2011 10:32

Very interesting indeed, I have caught carp on glazed cherries before but that was still using conventional tackle - how about Jelly tots there sweet and soft ?

REPLY #14

Mombakkies
24-Aug-2011 10:37

Howdi
they worked for me at bloemhof Coyote.

When I started using the hair rig , I did not have any boilies etc. so I used sweets , nuts , fruit to give it a go and had mixed results.

REPLY #15

Maruis Le Roux
24-Aug-2011 11:02

Wilde vye werk goed in die noorde wanneer hulle in seisoen is.

groete

M

REPLY #16

Vosros
25-Aug-2011 08:07

Ek het ook al gesien hoe 'n persoon sommer 'n bessie tipe vrug langs die water van 'n boom af pluk aansit en 'n vis vang daarmee...weet nie wat dit was nie.

REPLY #17

Dick
06-Sep-2011 00:32

I have caught carp using 4 - 5 jellytots on a hair. I must be honest they were not big fish but I have caught a few. The other thing that has worked is green peas in a combination with maize.

REPLY #18

Black Tiger
09-Sep-2011 14:43

and also yellow peas...

[ BACK TO TOP ]
 Did you know?

To make the forum more manageable OutdoorPAGES archives all posts older than 20 days. Use our ALL Posts or Forum Search features to access posts older than 20 days. The Forum Search feature allows you to search topics discussed on this forum since its inception in 2003. Just think how much info is contained in this resource. Want to become a better angler? Go Forum Search Now!!!

Copyright OutdoorPAGES. All rights reserved. No article or picture may be reproduced\published without the written consent of OutdoorPAGES.
The opinions expressed by authors and contributors does not necessarily reflect the viewpoint or policy of OutdoorPAGES.
Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy

pub-8107763361343301